- 1 pound chicken wings
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. each: celery salt, onion salt
- 2 tsp. mixed dried herbs of choice, finely crumbled
- 2 tsp. chili powder, or to taste
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- peanut oil for frying
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup orange juice concentrate
- 2 Tbsp. ketchup
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp. Hot sauce, or to taste
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped roasted peanuts
For the wings, cut each wing into 3 pieces using the tips for soup or discard tips. Put the wings in a bowl and mix with everything except flour and oil. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator at least 1 hour up to overnight.
Put the flour in a paper or plastic bag and dredge the wings, a few at a time.
Heat 1-inch of oil in a large, heavy skillet or wok over high heat until smoking. Lower the heat to medium and fry the wings, turning occasionally until they are crispy golden and cooked through. Drain on paper towels.
Meanwhile, combine sauce ingredients, except peanuts in a blender top and puree until smooth and creamy. Stir in the nuts and transfer to a bowl.
Place the sauce in the center of an attractive serving plate and surround with the warm, cooked wings.
Yield: 4 Servings
Fernandina Beach, FL
Recipe Courtesy of the Plains Peanut Festival Recipe Contest