- 1 pound deboned chicken breasts (cut into bite size pieces)
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper
- 1/2 medium green pepper
- 8 ounces fresh button mushrooms
- 1 20-ounce can pineapple chunks, drained (reserve the 3 tablespoons pineapple juice for using with the peanut butter)
- bamboo or metal kabob skewers
1. Early in the day – In a small saucepan put the peanut butter and pineapple juice. Over low heat, stirring occasionally until the peanut butter has become very soft and creamy. Remove from heat. Put mixture into a glass bowl, 15 minutes later add the pieces of chicken, stir to coat all of the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for several hours, stirring occasionally.
2. Cut red and green peppers into 2×1 inch strips. Place in small saucepan over medium heat with 1/2 cup water and cook, covered until tender but still firm, about five minutes. Clean mushrooms
3. Thread chunks on skewers as follows: Chicken, pineapple, green pepper, pineapple mushroom, pineapple, red pepper, pineapple and chicken.
4. Cook on grill or broil in oven until chicken is browned and cooked through, approx. 15-20 minutes on grill. Test with a thermometer for chicken to be cooked through.
Yield: 6 kabobs
Recipe Courtesy of the Plains Peanut Festival Recipe Contest