- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups julienne-cut carrot
- 1 1/2 cups green beans, trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1/2 English cucumber, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 2 cups)
- 1 (14-ounce) package water-packed extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons red curry powder or Madras curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lower-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- To prepare salad, place eggs in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a rolling boil; cover, remove from heat, and let stand 12 minutes. Remove eggs from pan with a slotted spoon; rinse with cold water. Peel eggs; cut in half.
- Return water to a boil. Add carrot, and cook for 1 minute. Remove carrot with a slotted spoon; drain and rinse with cold water. Drain and place in a bowl. Add the green beans to boiling water, and cook for 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove green beans with a slotted spoon; drain and rinse with cold water. Drain and place in a separate bowl. Arrange 2 egg halves, about 1/3 cup carrot, 1/3 cup green beans, 1/3 cup bean sprouts, 1/4 cup red bell pepper, and 1/2 cup cucumber on each of 4 plates.
- To prepare tofu, cut lengthwise into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) slices. Place the tofu slices on several layers of paper towels. Cover tofu with additional paper towels; let stand 5 minutes. Cut each tofu slice crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick strips. Combine cornstarch, curry powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; gently toss with tofu to coat.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add tofu to pan; cook for 10 minutes or until crisp and browned, turning to brown on all sides. Divide tofu evenly among plates.
- To prepare dressing, combine peanut butter and next 6 ingredients (through 1/4 teaspoon salt) in a bowl; stir with a whisk until smooth. Serve each salad with about 3 tablespoons dressing.
Recipe credit: Ivy Manning, Cooking Light